Isolation and identification of halophilic and extreme halophilic bacteria from saline water wetland ecosystems and determination of their enzymatic profile in Golestan province

Document Type : Research Article


1 Department of chemistry, Shahroud Branch ,Islamic Azad University, Shahrood, Iran.

2 1Department of chemistry, Shahroud Branch ,Islamic Azad University, Shahrood, Iran.

3 Department of Microbiology, Gorgan Branch, Islamic Azad University, Gorgan, Iran


Saline water wetland ecosystems such as Alagol, Almagol and Ajigol are located in the vast Turkmen-Sahra plains (Golestan prov.) in east of Caspian Sea are one of the most sensitive ecosystems. Samples were isolated for 4 months from different areas with different EC and pH of the mentioned wetlands, seals and geysers. A total of 70 different water samples were collected from aquatic ecosystems that were purified by culturing on selected media. According to biochemical tests, 41 isolates were able to grow in saline environments, of which 63.4% were halophiles, which were observed only in wetlands and geysers. The other 36.6% were halotolerant and were excluded from the results. Alagol wetland had the highest abundance in halophilic species. . The enzymatic activity of halophiles for amylase, protease and lipase hydrolase showed that 34.6% of the isolates contained all three enzymes, which include all three groups of gram-positive cocci, gram-positive and gram-negative cocci. Comparison of enzymatic activity also showed that with the exception of two extreme species of Halophilus bacillus subtilis which were relatively slower in growth and had a longer period at the beginning and end of substrate application in culture medium, the rest of the isolates had almost the same range during growth. They have the time of enzyme production and the time of completion of the substrate.